There are seven things I have to tell you about Ben and Liz Bohannon.
1. Liz was one of the first people I met my freshman year at the University of Missouri. She's hilarious and soulful and passionate. Back then, chokers were in, or so I tell myself.
2. Ben and my husband, Scott, met at an internship after college.
3. Ben and Liz got married.
4. Ben and Liz had some role in introducing Scott and me. We got married. Ben was there.
5. After college, Liz had a crazy, hair brained idea to start a sandal company. But not just any sandal company. It would be a sandal company that empowers women in Africa and gives them an opportunity for an education. It would partner with these women for a nine month dignified employment program, allowing them to earn money that would go directly towards their college educations. During their employment, they would craft beautiful, high quality sandals, bags, scarves and other statement pieces. And after, they would have what the needed to continue pursuing their dreams. She called her company Sseko Designs and its products, mission and impact have been wildly successful. Sseko currently employs 50 women in Uganda (FIFTY!) from all walks of life. You can read more about its full story here and meet the women here.
6. Sseko's handmade goods make beautiful, thoughtful additions to bridal party style. They are also great gift ideas for your bridesmaids and all of the special ladies involved in your day. For inspiration, check out their wedding board on Pinterest and their bridal collection. (I own the t-strap sandals, pictured below, and wear them every single day in the summer. They are super high quality and very comfy.)
7. Recently, Liz got another crazy, hair brained idea and applied for ABC Shark Tank. Out of 65,000 applications, Sseko Designs was chosen!
The episode featuring Ben, Liz and Sseko will air tonight, February 13, 2015 at 9/8c. Please tune in and learn more about this incredible company! A huge congratulations to the Bohannons and the entire Sseko team.